Engineering Frequently Asked Questions

Could the City come and locate my lot corners?

No, we do not provide this service. You must have a private surveyor do this for you. There are several listed in the Yellow Pages under “Surveyors - Land” .

How do I find out if sewer and water laterals have been extended to a vacant lot?

The easiest way is to look for a water service shut off on the house side of the sidewalk (usually 2 - 3 feet from the sidewalk). Or call Diggers Hotline and the water lateral will be marked (sewer laterals are never marked but are typically located +/ - 30 inches from the water lateral on single family and duplex lots, and 8 feet from the water lateral on more intense land uses).

Do we have traffic cou nts on a specific street?

Yes, traffic counts are done each summer and are posted on our web site. To review traffic counts, click here .

Do I need a permit to replace sidewalk and/or my driveway approach ( between curb and sidewalk) ?

Do I need a permit to replace sidewalk and/or my driveway approach ( between curb and sidewalk) ? Yes, a permit i s needed to remove and replace city sidewalk, to cut the curb, and/or to remove and replace or to initially install the approach to your driveway (between the curb and sidewalk). An inspection is required before the pour of any concrete in the right of wa y. The Engineering Department requires a 24 - hour notice for that inspection.

To view permit costs, click here .
To view permit application, click here .
To view permit specifications, click here .
To view sidewalk replacement criteria, click here .
To view sidewalk remove & replace reimbursement procedure, click here .
To view curb/approach permit requirements, click here .

How do the traffic signals work?

The traffic signals located at the intersections of Barton & Main and Walnut & Main operate in what is called a pre - timed mode. This means that each light comes on for a preset amount of time. The signal cycles change only at preset times of the day as traffic demand changes.

The remaining signals operate in actuated mode by ad justing the length of each green light. The intersection’s traffic signal controller knows to skip, shorten, or lengthen each green light because of traffic detectors which notify the controller of the presence of vehicles at the intersection.

West Bend uses two types of detectors. The most common is a coil of wire embedded in the pavement. An electrical field is created around the coil. A vehicle is detected when the metal on the vehicle disrupts the field. The other type detector is a video camera. A vehicle is detected by driving into the field of view of the camera th us changing the video image.

The signal operations at the intersection of Paradise and Main are “fully actuated”. This intersection can and does completely vary the sequence and duration of the green lights based on the traffic entering and exiting the intersection.

The rest of the signals operate in a semi - actuated mode (partially traffic responsive) mode. While they can vary the sequence and duration of the green lights, th ey must stay within a preset cycle operating in the background of the signal controller’s program. Here, a driver on the cross street has to wait until the appropriate time in the cycle to actually get a green light.

How do the pedestrian signals operate?

At the pre - timed intersections, the walk and don’t walk lights come on automatically as part of the preset program.

At actuated signals, pedestrians must press the pedestrian “CALL” button.

What do WALK/DON’T WALK lights mean?

WHITE “WALK” light — OK to start walking.
ORANGE “DON’T WALK” ( Flashing ) — OK to continue crossing the street.

  • Don’t start walking (you won’t have enough time to finish crossing before the light turns red).
  • ORANGE “DON’T WALK” ( Solid Burning ) — DON’T walk.




West Bend City Hall
1115 S. Main Street
West Bend, WI 53095
(262) 335-5100