Police Frequently Asked Questions

As a victim or witness, how do I register with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to learn about a criminal alien's release from custody?

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and the Homeland Security Investigations (HIS) are committed to protecting the public and ensuring that the rights of victims are carefully observed.  HSI administers the Victim Notification Program which allows eligible victims and witnesses to obtain reliable and timely information regarding a criminal alien’s release from custody.  However, victims and witnesses are required to register with these agencies in order to receive notifications of a criminal alien’s release.

Please visit http://www.ice.gov/victim-notification/ for further details.  

How do I license my bike?

If you are a City resident and own a bicycle with a wheel diameter 20" or more, you are required to register the bike with the Police Department for a small fee.

What are my rights as a landlord or a tenant?

The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection provide a Landlord Tenant Guide which shares factual information to help both the landlord and tenant.  They also provide information about tenants' rights.

Landlord Tenant Guide 2014

Tenants' Rights

Chapter 704 of the WI State Statutes will provide additional assistance.

WI State Statute 704-Landlord and Tenant

Your attorney can further assist with any non-criminal matter.




Will the Police Department give me a ride if I don't have transportation?

The Police Department does not provide a taxi service.

The Washington County Shared Ride Taxi Service can be contacted at 1-888-285-TAXI (8294) or 262-338-2908.

Visit http://www.ridewcce.com for more details on available services and schedule times.

The City of West Bend Shared Ride Taxi Service can be contacted at 262-335-3096.

Visit http://www.ci.west-bend.wi.us/Taxi/ for more details on services and schedules times.



Can I operate a snowmobile or ATV within City limits?

Snowmobiles or ATV's are not permitted to be operated on city streets, sidewalks or any public property, nor to be operated on private property unless permission has been given by that property owner.

Does the Police Department do fingerprinting and when can I have my fingerprints done?

Yes, fingerprinting is available Monday through Saturday, 8AM-4PM, when personnel are available. There is a $20.00 fee and you must have a valid picture ID.

Why did it take so long for the Police to come when I called them?

All requests for Police services are assigned to priority based on the seriousness of the incident and the potential for injury or damage to property. At times, calls of less urgent nature must be delayed so that we can respond immediately to emergencies.

Why do they ask so many questions when I call the police?

Dispatchers are trained to try and get as much information as possible to best determine the nature of the problem and its seriousness. On emergency calls, the dispatcher has already sent the information to the officer while asking additional questions.

Can the police open my car if I have locked my keys inside?

No, as of January 1, 2004, the Police Department no longer offers this service.

Someone has abandoned a junk car in my parking lot or on my property. Can the Police tow it away for me?

The Police Department will start a junked or abandoned vehicle complaint and attempt to contact the vehicle owner by mail. If, after a resonable period of time, the owner has not removed the vehicle it will be towed from your property and impounded at the City impound lot.

How do I apply for a position with the Police Department?

An application may be obtained from the City HR Department at City Hall. Applications are only accepted when an eligibility list is being established. Testing for an eligibility list is advertised in area newspapers. Contact the HR Department at (262)335-5114 for more informatuion to find out what openings are available.

How can I find out if someone is in jail, when someone in jail can be visited and any other information about persons in jail?

The West Bend Police Department does not have a jail. You need to contact the Washington County Jail directly at (262)335-4427.




West Bend City Hall
1115 S. Main Street
West Bend, WI 53095
(262) 335-5100