Street Tree Information
Street trees are within the City Right-of-Way and generally are between the curb and the sidewalk. There are over 12,000 street trees in our City that our Parks & Forestry staff care for. We have multiple ways for residents to learn about our City's street trees. Please click here for the 2015 Approved Street Tree Listing.
18th Avenue Street Tree Demonstration
Our 18th Avenue Street Tree Demonstration has some of our most popular street tree varieties. You can visit the trees in person, using the 18th Ave Street Tree Demonstration Key, or you can view them as a pdf booklet here: 18th Avenue Street Tree Demonstration booklet, 2014 version.
Free Street Tree Program
Did your street tree get removed recently and are interested in replacing it, or do you have a large expanse of empty space and wonder if a tree would fit? Then our Free Street Tree Program is for you! We accept applications throughout the year. Please click the online form link below to fill out the online application, or fill out the pdf form and mail it to us or drop it off, or you may stop in our office to fill out a form.
Do you have an ASH TREE that has been marked for removal with a green dot? Please wait until both tree and stump are removed before you apply for a Street Tree replacement.
We have currently reached a limit on Free Street Tree applications for 2018 trees. The amount of funding designated for this program by the Common Council is currently under review and uncertain at this time. For this reason, we will place any Free Street Tree Application received on or after December 5, 2017 directly into our 2019 planting program.
Please wait until both tree and stump are removed before you apply for a Free Street Tree replacement.
Tree Species available for applications for 2019 Free Street Tree Program:
For permission to plant a tree of your choosing, contact our office for a Tree Planting Permit Application
Here is how the Tree Planting Permit program works:
- Contact Parks & Forestry office at 335-5080 or stop in to our office at City Hall to obtain permit application form.
- Fill out Tree Planting Permit Application listing your name, address, and the species of tree you would like to plant.
- After tree location and tree species has been approved by our arborist, you will be given the planting permit. (there is no cost)
- You purchase and plant the tree at your expense. Tree species must be on our Approved Street Tree Listing (see above)
- You return permit to our office listing the species of tree and date planted.
- After two years, if the tree is still viable, you contact our office for a tree review and a rebate of $50.